Common types of insurance coverage for private schools
The following are the common types of insurance for private school providers in Ontario and across Canada:
- Commercial General Liability – Helps cover legal expenses if a parent, student or visitor is hurt while on your school’s property, or if you or a staff member damages property of others due to your negligence. For example, someone slips and falls on the sidewalk leading to the school’s entrance, suffering injuries, and decides to sue you.
- Abuse Liability – Allegations of abuse can happen and may include complaints of molestation, harassment, corporal punishment or other forms of mental abuse, which is why we ensure our clients have abuse coverage on an occurrence basis. costs of repairing
- Commercial Property – This coverage helps cover the repair or rebuilding your insured property that is damaged or destroyed by an insured peril like water damage, fire, hail or wind.
- Commercial Auto – If your school owns any vehicles, this insurance is essential to cover third party liability and accident benefits and other physical damage and loss of use coverage. You can also add optional coverages like all-perils, collision, comprehensive, and loss of use. We can also place the passenger hazard coverage required if you transport children.
- Professional Liability Insurance – Also known as errors and omissions, this coverage is recommended for the most common complaint of ‘failure to educate’, which is occurring with more frequency.
- Director and Officer’s Insurance – Helps cover legal expenses and protects the personal finances of directors and officers of the school if they are accused of wrongful acts or mismanagement in their role. For example, a director could be accused of breaching fiduciary duties or failing to meet provincial regulations around creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
- Employment Practices Liability – as a component of Directors and Officers Insurance, this coverage will respond to allegations of wrongful termination, harassment in employment and discrimination.
- Employee Benefits Liability – Helps cover legal expenses if your school makes a mistake in administering employee benefits. For example, if the administrator fails to enroll a staff member in the benefits program .
- Cyber Liability – This helps cover expenses related to a privacy breach or cyber attack. This can include legal fees, regulatory fines, public relations, and more.
We also offer additional coverages such as abuse liability and expenses reimbursement, criminal expense reimbursement, child trauma and abduction event expense, employment practices liability, umbrella liability, enhanced property coverage, sudden and accidental pollution as well as offer perks like a disappearing deductible for qualifying losses and flexible payment and financing options.
We can also offer a group benefits program for schools with more than ten employees, including medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs, life, critical illness and disability coverage.
At CCV Insurance, we design an insurance program fit for your private school’s individual needs
Contact the MySchool team today to get started at 1.800.461.8562 or learn more about the program here: https://www.ccvinsurance.com/programs/my-school/